Monday, November 1, 2010

GFDF

Our little Piper has been labeled this. It stands for Gluten Free and Dairy Free.

Since she was a baby she has struggled with bad eczema. For years we have tried the creams but I knew that was just a band-aid and I had to figure out what was causing her skin to react this way. We had her blood tested for allergies and it came back that she is highly, highly allergic to cats and to a mold that manifests in the fall. But I knew those weren't causing this terrible skin problem. This girl has scars from itching so hard. Many nights she would cry because it itched so much. Finally, I had her tested through Enterolab.

Sure enough, she came back gluten and dairy intolerant. They recommended a permanent removal of all gluten and dairy from her diet immediately to avoid further damage.

It seems like every time we turn around someone else is going GF at least, doesn't it??? It seems like it's a fad. But let me reassure you, nothing about this is fun. But it is necessary. I've read lots of research on gluten and how toxic it is to our bodies. Some studies say up to 80% of the population cannot tolerate it! It seems to be the culprit in numerous diseases, especially autoimmune ones. And people who take themselves off of it see dramatic results.

We have seen Piper's skin completely clear up! Did you hear me??? Completely. Praise the Lord for that!

I will be honest. Going GF is hard, but no dairy or gluten....it feels impossible. There are so many things she can't have because it contains gluten but no dairy or vice versa. BUT compared to a few years ago, there's a lot out there that she can have. And I am so grateful for that. It could be worse.

There's definitely major lifestyle changes that we have to make to ensure Pipes gets proper nutrition. I am cooking from scratch which means a lot more time in the kitchen. (Read, the girl who does not like to be in the kitchen is in there lots.) She needs supplements because often people who are gf are deficient in iron, Vit D, and Vit B. There are places we used to eat that are just too hard to go to anymore. Like Chick-fil-A. When we are going somewhere, I have to make sure there is something Piper can eat. If not, I make her the same thing they are having, just safe for her.

Piper does great with it. She has been so willing to adapt. Often she has to remind me that she can't eat something I am getting ready to poison her with! And if she gets offered something, she will tell them she can't have it, or ask me before just eating it. She is almost always happy with an alternative I have for her. Sweet girl.

We have had a lot of help on this journey. Many of my friends are gf and one is df too. We learn lots from each other and it makes it so much easier to have them to walk it out with. And our friends bend over backwards to help us if we are eating at their house or coming to a party with them. Thank you!

If Piper has gluten or dairy, she gets bad stomach aches and they often last for a few days.

So, I highly recommend Enterolab. They do stool testing instead of blood. It's much more accurate.

If you ever have any questions about GF and DF things, let me know. If I can't answer it, I know someone who can:)

No comments: