Saturday, August 28, 2010

Gracie's First Day!

Our Firstborn's First Day of First Grade!!

Gracie Girl started school last Monday at Liberty Prep.  She was so excited to go!  Sometimes she was quiet about it, other times she couldn't wait for the first day.  Jeremy took her to orientation the week before (I was in bed with a migraine) and she didn't say two words to him, in the car or at the school.  So we weren't sure how her first day would go.
She got up, got dressed, made sure mommy made her lunch properly, and then she was ready to go!

She picked out this Kai-Lan book bag
My first school lunch:)





Gracie is sitting with her class in the chapel.  She was pretty quiet at this point.
There are eight kids in her class.
Daddy went over to kiss her goodbye.  
Here they go...off to class!  I got a little teary eyed at this point.


Now that we have the first week under our belt I'd say it's been a success!  Gracie really enjoyed it!  She's up and ready each morning without me waking her.  I take her and Ellie to school and Kim picks them up.  So far, she's come home smiling each day:)  When I ask her what she's learned, she tells me "the world."  Finally on Friday I realized she really was serious, they've been studying the world map:)  She seems to be making friends and she even gets to see Ellie at lunch and recess.  On the afternoon before our homeschool days (Tues and Thurs afternoons) she wants to do her work right away.  So we don't even have anything to do on the homeschool days:) I am sure that will change before long.  We'll probably get more work.

How is the Mommy doing?  To be honest, I feel really incomplete during the day.  Like a piece of me is missing! I can't wait to see her little face in the afternoons!  But I feel we definitely made the right decision.  

Piper is a little beside herself.  After we dropped G off the first day, Jeremy looked back and she was sitting with her arms crossed, head down, and her lip poked out to China.  He asked her what was wrong and she said,  "I don't have anybody to play with."  She must have asked me that day ten times, "What can I do Mom?"  And she had several potty accidents:(  Poor girl.  Tuesday when we dropped the girls off, she cried.  But Thursday she did well.  I think we're getting somewhere.  I've enjoyed spending time with her.

She came home with her weekly progress report on Thursday and she got "excellent" on all three categories:)  It said she had a great attitude and that she worked well and independently. We are grateful!

I went to get the mail today and there was a postcard for Gracie from her teacher:)  It said she was so excited to be her teacher and that she enjoyed their first week together.  So. Sweet!

No comments: