Monday, November 3, 2008

Election Eve

Well here we are, on the eve of the most monumental election of our time. (Bear with me, I might ramble a little here.)
   I cried myself to sleep last night.  Why? Because babies are being murdered around here, 1.2 million a year.  I watched a you tube video on Randy Alcorn's blog.  Boy, it was the hardest thing I have ever watched.  It was insanely graphic.  Those images will forever be imprinted on my mind. But it was good.  I needed to see it.  I needed to know exactly what this genocide is doing to our children.  The main reason I was so upset is because I wanted to know why God allows this. My friend Cindy has been helping me today with that very question.  But I am angry with God.  WHY Lord? Why does this go on???  Can't you just end it?  Come Lord Jesus come.  I am ready to go home.
   Well, I think much of why God allows things like this is a mystery.  But some of it is not.  He wants us to press into Him and trust Him. When I see things like abortion happening, He is whom I must cling to.  He loves these babies far more than I do.  He created them.  And praise God they are with Him in heaven!

Back to the election, I promise, I am getting somewhere with all of this.  I am tempted to again ask God why? Why Lord would you even allow Obama to get this close to us?  This close to becoming our leader? Lord, he wants to sign a bill (first thing once he's elected) that will allow babies to be killed up to nine months of age.  Even ones that come out living and breathing, he will let them die in a soiled utility room!  Oh Lord, how much longer?  Abortion will get so much worse!

Then I read this morning in my devotions.  "Nothing can stand in the way of the purposes of the sovereign and omnipotent God, who called heaven and earth into being and out of nothing."  
     That's right!  Yes, God is in control and He promises to never leave us or forsake us.  If we are believers and have a personal relationship with Him, we have all the hope we need.  God is our ruler and our King. And he promises to protect us.  He appoints whom he will to the oval office and I am going to trust Him.  I am also going to pray for the president.  Even if it's Obama.  He will need them! Whomever he is.  I can't imagine getting that job.  Our whole nation and the ones around us are in a mess.
When Abram's faith faltered and He went to Egypt instead of Canaan, his logic was fatally flawed.  He had forgotten the God he served was greater than his problems.  Wow, that's where we are today isn't it?  The God we serve is much greater than any election and he's greater than the evil surrounding abortion.  And we have His promise that he wins!  He will ultimately conquer all the death and evil!  Praise God for that hope!


Will you join me in prayer today and tonight and tomorrow for our nation?  

 "I have set watchmen on your walls, O Jerusalem; they shall never hold their peace day or night.  You who make mention of the Lord, do not keep silent, and give Him no rest till He establishes and makes Jerusalem a praise in the earth."  Isaiah 62:6-7
God cares for us and He is listening to our pleas.

"If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."     2 Chronicles 7:14
Pray for our nation to return back to the Lord.    Pray for our eyes to be opened when we get in that voting booth.  That we would choose a leader who will protect what God holds dear.

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness.  We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express."  Romans 8:26

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.  But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night."  Psalm 1:1-2
Pray that our leader will seek the Lord.  That they will appoint judges, military personnel, and all other positions to men and women who fear the Lord.

"But it is God who judges: He brings one down, he exalts another." Psalm 75:7
Pray for God's restraining hand, to prevent unrighteous people from being re-elected or placed into office for the first time.
  Acknowledge the Lord as King over heaven and earth.

"Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities.  For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God." Romans 13:1
We can rest in this and pray for our new leaders in faith.  This is a sovereign placement from God.
 
I will rest in God's arms and his sovereignty today and tomorrow as I watch him appoint this president.

1 comment:

JJandFive said...

awww... I know what you mean about crying yourself to sleep. i watched that video too and cried and cried. i, too, don't get it.