Monday, December 19, 2011

Six Months

Ok, I've been writing this post for two days.  I want to be real and honest about our new life here.  Here goes...

I can hardly believe that 6 months ago this past week, we packed up our little family and moved to the beach.  It's still surreal, knowing the town I was born and raised in, is not where "home" is anymore.  It has been a growing season for our family. Lots of changes, lots of learning.
        Last night Jeremy and I went on a date.  It's the first one we've been on in over a year.  Since he got laid off last November!  We were talking through our marriage and the struggles we face in communication, our very different opinions, and personalities, and just how we are doing.  Honestly, I thought this move would be great for our marriage.  I thought it would be just what I needed to focus on serving Jeremy more.  I would be away from the many distractions I had in Charlotte and I would have more time to be the wife he desires.  Whoa, it hasn't happened that way at all. The distractions are different, but the end results are the same.  So we are talking through how to find common ground and have things to enjoy together.  So that when our kids are grown we aren't looking at each other going, "Who are you?"  We've always needed to grow in our friendship with one another.  When we first moved here I felt like we were doing really well at this.  It seems we've gotten sidelined though with learning to do life here.
   It's been the busiest season of our lives since moving!  I am constantly in the car running the girls to school, sports, and Awana.  And if they want to play with friends, we have to drive for that too.  I've learned that living at the beach means you drive for everything.  There's not much going on in beach towns friends.  We have to drive to the city for entertainment, shopping, sports, and food.  You name it, we drive.  And people are fine with that.  I am learning to be fine with that.
    The girls are doing really well.  I think this feels like home to them.  I am so grateful for that.  Honestly, I think they would have been happy to stay here for Christmas.  That is pretty amazing.  The mama wasn't having that, but they could have been content here.  I love that.  Don't get me wrong, they love going back to visit friends and family, but there is a contentedness here in their hearts.  They love their friends and want to be with them as much as possible.  Gracie is loving sports and Pipes, gymnastics.  Reesee goes with the flow, or err something like that.  She makes her own tornadoes.
  We have started searching for land and houses.  Big debates are where to live, like closer to the beach and continue all the driving, or move closer in towards Wilmington and cut some serious commute.  I love the beach communities though!  They are more what I am looking for, but they're further out.  Still a little shorter drive than we are now, by about 10 mins.  There's one neighborhood I really like with super fun beachy colored houses:)  I think it would be a great place to do ministry and raise our girls.  The friends would be abundant.  Lots of young families in there.  On the other hand, being closer to town and having more land is also appealing.  Or do we scrap all that, buy a foreclosure and live cheaply?  Or does your hubby build you a home that you can get a return on?  He's good at it you know.  So, so much to think about and pray through.  If you think about it, would you pray for us?
      There have been some huge blessings moving out here too.  First of all, just knowing this is where God called us.  There is peace in that.  I'm still not sure exactly why he did, but I know he will reveal it in his time.  I definitely really miss my hometown.  I am trying really hard not to call it home anymore.  I hate missing my niece's plays, birthdays, and hanging out with my old neighbors, and watching my sister blossom carrying my nephew, and being with my family.  All of these things make me ache to be away.  But when God strips those things, he becomes more. More real, more  faithful.
  One of the big ways he's shown himself faithful is through our new church, Grace Topsail.  It's a small church, with about 15 families, and tons of kids!  They have been so kind to us.  They have befriended us, invited us to whatever they are doing, and just loved us.  It's been crazy to see the Lord's hand in this area of friendships.  He has provided them, above what I asked or imagined.  I imagined it being a long road to true friendships.  But it's been natural, and a real blessing getting to know these families.  I look forward to lifelong friendships with them.
   And, we live at the beach!! Enough said, right?:)  It's pretty crazy to be able to just drive over whenever and look at the water.  I don't do it near enough. But I am resolving to do better at it. I'm hoping to see snow on the beach this year:)  They got 8 inches last year!

  So, that's that.  Six months at our new place.  It's a journey.  And I want to be where God calls me.

No comments: