Wednesday, December 12, 2007

12 Days of Christmas

I was doing research for my preschool lesson last night and I came across this about the song The 12 Days of Christmas...
It originated during the middle ages when Catholics were persecuted for their faith. They came up with this song to teach Children about God.
True love refers to God, me refers to the baptized, and the partridge in the pear tree refers to Jesus!!
2 turtle doves- The old and new testaments
3 French horns- Faith, Hope, and Charity
4 Calling Birds- the four gospels
5 Golden rings- The first five books of the Old Testament, the Pentateuch, which gives the history if mans fall from grace
6 Geese-a-laying- the six days of creation
7 Swans a-swimming- the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit, the 7 sacraments
8 Maids a- milking- the eight beatitudes
9 Ladies Dancing- the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit
10 Lords a-leaping- the ten commandments
11 Pipers Piping- the eleven faithful apostles
12 Drummers Drumming- the twelve points of doctrine in the Apostle's Creed


Hmmm, guess I'll think differently of this song from now on:) Have any of you heard this?

1 comment:

michelle said...

I just read this last night on a blog!! I had never heard it either, adn I was wanting my own blog to be back up adn running so I could post it as well - I had found crafts and stuff that go along with this, in case you didn't see that and would be interested. I definitely enjoy this song in a whole new way now too! Thanks for posting it! :)